” If the answer is “no,” consider what you can do to make sure your own needs are being met. There are many ways to stay grounded, though mindfulness and meditation can be particularly beneficial. https://ecosoberhouse.com/ One of the best ways to challenge fear and insecurity is by staying in a place of gratitude. We recommend writing down several things you are grateful for in the morning, in the evening, or both!
It is one thing to face a problem you bear responsibility for and deal with life’s challenges, and it’s another to find yourself harassed by someone because of their issues. Don’t let a relapse set in – with these simple tips, you can be in control of your recovery and get the most out of being sober to stay sober. No matter the specific type of substance abuse, there comes a point staying sober when addiction is strictly mental. This is why relaxing activities are so important for overcoming the negative thoughts that lead to relapse. Even if you choose not to go to AA meetings, you can still live “one day at a time.” When you live one day at a time, sobriety does not appear as impossible. You can focus on short-term sobriety, staying sober for 24 hours at a time.
Learn New Ways to Relax
You’ll never finish everything you want to do, but if you set strict timelines, you’ll keep yourself on track for staying sober. Again, staying sober isn’t a punishment, it’s a reward. But understandably, it may not feel like it initially.
- At family gatherings and social events, tote around your favorite non-alcoholic drink.
- Routines are important during addiction recovery, as a chaotic or disorganized life can encourage you to turn to old habits.
- You can start by setting up daily and weekly routines and making sure you follow them.
- Physical dependence and tolerance are normal physiology.
- There are a million different ways to give back, pay it forward and be of service, and each opportunity guides you further away from resentment, self-pity and fear.
Michelle Pugle is an expert health writer with nearly a decade of experience contributing accurate and accessible health information to authority publications. It’s nice to have people who genuinely care about their clients…” -Robert D. “From the moment you walk through the door you are made to feel like family.
Tips for How to Stay Sober
You may need to repair relationships damaged by alcohol or opioid dependency. This takes time and is not always easy, but the time you spend repairing your relationships provides a solid foundation for your future. Don’t avoid these issues as you work through recovery. Avoiding them can compound your stress, increasing your chances of relapsing. Instead, seek out the advice of legal counsel and get help negotiating debt with creditors.
- You will find that long-term sobriety is possible when you focus on the daily process instead of the long-term end goal.
- Thus, it is important to keep motivated when you are on your road to recovery.
- A large network of support is necessary to stay sober, but your biggest supporter needs to be you.
- After living a life of chaos, destruction and constant let downs, Mark was able to make a complete turnaround that sparked a new way of life.
- With a vaccine now available, though, life will hopefully soon return to normal.
Sobriety is just one part of living a happy life in recovery. According to theJournal of Psychoactive Drugs, theaverage stayin a sober living program was between 166 and 254 days . You might need more time to achieve long-term sobriety. Staying sober long-term takes self-care, getting support, a relapse prevention plan, and committing to healthy living.
Don’t put too much pressure on one short stay in rehab.
It can be helpful in offsetting the initial shock and isolation involved in changing your environment. Surround yourself with sober people who share your interests. Enter your email address to follow Right Path and receive updates about addiction treatment news via email. Buprenorphine is an opioid medication used to treat opioid addiction in the privacy of a physician’s office. Buprenorphine can be dispensed for take-home use, by prescription.
Firstly, by getting up and going to bed at the same time, you’ll start improving the quality and quantity of your sleep. Sleep patterns are often disrupted by substance abuse. Rehab will have provided you with ample opportunity to examine your friendships and relationships.